We are looking for a Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
In this role you will oversee the design and delivery of program and strategic plans, particularly related to research, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and develop and manage key relationships internationally.
You can find further information including person specification here. Deadline for receipt of applications is Wednesday 28 October 2020 at 5pm UK.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV (resume) and a covering letter, detailing how you meet the selection criteria. Please include details of two referees.
Job title: Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Location: UK, USA, or Ethiopia
Reporting to: Head of Programs
Key relationships: Program team colleagues; clinical team; external stakeholders and partners; communications & development staff; finance staff; trustees; Global CEO and COO
Salary: As per relevant local scale
Lifebox (www.lifebox.org) is a global nonprofit dedicated to improving surgical safety in low and middle-income countries. We are registered in the USA, UK and Ethiopia. Founded in 2011 by the authors of the WHO Surgical Safety Checklist, Lifebox works to ensure that surgical teams around the world have the tools and training needed to provide the safest care possible for their patients. Our work focuses on three core areas of work: anesthesia safety, reducing surgical site infections, and improving teamwork in the operating room.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
To manage the implementation of Lifebox’s safer surgery and anesthesia research, monitoring and evaluation work globally. Working as part of a program team, and closely with clinical advisors, Fellows and partners, the Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager provides operational and strategic leadership for program development, design and implementation within defined areas of responsibility (geographic or thematic).
The Research, Monitoring and Evaluation Manager will oversee the design and delivery of program and strategic plans, particularly related to research, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and develop and manage key relationships. They will be responsible for ensuring that all aspects of Lifebox research projects are well designed and coordinated globally, receive IRB approval, and are managed on-budget, on time and with optimal impact. They will also lead the design and implementation of monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities. This position may require international travel.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Research and M&E strategic leadership
- Lead the development and implementation of annual and multi-year strategic plans for research, monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Provide input and advice on projects and programs, from research and M&E perspective, to ensure that projects are of high quality, represent best practices, and are based on robust evidence
- Line or task manage junior members of staff, interns or volunteers
Research and M&E project management
- Design and work with program team colleagues to ensure the implementation of high quality monitoring, evaluation and learning processes and tools, ensuring that best practices are integrated and programs are delivered based on robust evidence
- Design data collection methodologies, and analyze and evaluate data to ensure achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary
- Coordinate and participate in research design, sample selection, data management, analysis and overall research project management for a portfolio of projects
- Ensure all IRB requirements are fulfilled
- Manage Lifebox Fellowship programs, including coordination of mentorship and impact evaluation
- Facilitate research collaborations with students and academic institutions
- Develop and strengthen collaborative relationships with external parties, particularly academic and research institutions
- Maintain oversight of relevant conferences and other opportunities; leading the timely preparation and submission of abstracts
- Ensuring that learning is shared within the Lifebox team and partners, and support the ongoing development of Lifebox’s objectives for learning for our partners
- Postgraduate degree in public health or related medical field
- Expertise in designing and implementing research projects using a range of qualitative and quantitative methodologies
- Expertise in review of scientific literature, quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of global surgery
- Experience of preparing and submitting IRB requirements and ensuring ethical standards and requirements for research are met
- Experience of designing and implementing monitoring, evaluation and learning processes, systems and tools in the context of global health
- Ability to build relationships and networks globally
- Ability to effectively manage and prioritise multiple work streams, and to work independently and proactively
- Knowledge and experience of using standardised statistical packages
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Clinical experience
- Expertise in biostatistics
- Additional language skills (particularly French, Spanish, Hindi or Amharic)
- Experience of coaching/training in research and/or M&E
To apply, please email email@example.com with your CV (resume) and a covering letter, detailing how you meet the selection criteria. Please include details of two referees with full contact details.
Interviews will be held via Zoom.