This Lifebox online course covers pulse oximetry and severe acute respiratory infections (SARI). It is intended as a resource for healthcare providers who wish to learn more about pulse oximetry and how it can be used to improve care for patients with SARI, including COVID-19.
Topics covered include, basic physiology of oxygen transport, how to use a pulse oximeter, including the Lifebox-Smile Train pulse oximeter, and using a systematic approach to manage hypoxemia in severe acute respiratory infections (SARI).
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Define oxygen saturation (SpO2)
- Understand physiology of oxygen transport to tissues
- Define hypoxemia and understand the importance of early detection
- Explain what a pulse oximeter is and how it works
- Identify potential limitations that make some oximeters unsuitable for clinical care
The course is comprised of four modules:
Module 1: Basic physiology of oxygen transport
Module 2: Using A pulse oximeter
Module 3: Managing hypoxemia in severe acute respiratory infections (SARI)
Module 4: Practice managing hypoxemia with case studies
The course takes two to three hours to complete and users receive a certificate upon completion.
The course is available for free on the Lifebox Learning Network – our open access online learning platform.